In such a beautiful, culturally rich area, there’s always something to celebrate. Here’s a sampling of some of the larger, multi-day events taking place this summer, from Owls Head up the coast to Belfast, that we hope will make you want to stay for a while. Give us a call and let us help you plan your summer vacation in this lively part of Maine–we still have availability around many of these big events!
(Please visit the Penobscot Bay Regional Chamber of Commerce events calendar for additional happenings. There is no lack of things to do around here, any time of year!)
- Arts in the Park, Heritage Park, Belfast, July 8 – 9, 2017: This 22nd annual, family-friendly crafts show features a diversity of quality arts and crafts, live music throughout the weekend, and great local food, all offered in the beautiful setting of downtown Belfast’s waterfront.
- Maine Celtic Celebration, Heritage Park, Belfast, July 14 – 16, 2017: This festive weekend boasts ten different Celtic bands/performers and such eclectic activities as the Kilted Canter 5K Run/Walk, the Manx Uphill Three-legged Race, a hilarious Cheese Roll, and the Highland Heavy Games.
- North Atlantic Blues Festival, Rockland Public Landing, July 15 – 16, 2017: This annual blues music festival showcasing national blues performers is considered one of the most prestigious on the East Coast. The event features all-day, top-notch live entertainment, food and craft vendors, and a Saturday evening Club Crawl on Main Street.
- Carol Sebold Harbor Arts Summer Juried Arts & Crafts Show, Camden Harbor Park & Amphitheatre, July 18 – 19, 2017: This long-time annual show hosts a wide variety of artists and hand-crafters displaying their work al fresco on Camden’s waterfront.
- Maine Lobster Festival, Rockland Public Landing, August 2 – 6, 2017, 9:00am – 5:00pm: The 70th annual celebration of all things lobster offers fun and feasting for all—a midway packed with rides and food vendors, parade, 10K Road Race, the Great Lobster Crate Race, a seafood cooking contest, the Maine Sea Goddess Pageant, a tent full of arts and crafts, a headliner entertainer (tba), and most importantly, plenty of boiled lobster!
- Wings & Wheels Spectacular, Owls Head Transportation Museum, August 5 – 6, 2017. 9:00am – 3:00pm: The aerobatic airshow (biplanes!) is the highlight of the Museum’s longest running annual event, which features classic antique cars and planes, free kids’ activities, and Model T rides.
- Maine Boats, Homes & Harbors Show, Rockland Public Landing, August 11 – 13, 2017: This collection of artists, architects, boat builders, craftspeople, furniture makers, and vendors of all things marine offers something for everyone. Highlights include live music, the Boatyard Dog Trials, Boston Whaler rendezvous, a street dance party, and a kids’ marine experience park.
- Union Fair & State of Maine Wild Blueberry Festival, Union Fairgrounds off Route 17, August 19 – 26, 2017: This traditional (145th annual) country fair has everything you’d expect and more, including a midway full of rides, harness racing, live music, fireworks, the Maine Wild Blueberry Queen coronation, agricultural exhibits, farm animals, the Matthews Museum, demolition derbies, and ox and horse pulling contests. We’ve been going to this one for years, and now we take our kids.
- Camden Windjammer Festival, Camden Public Landing and Harbor, September 1 – 3, 2017.A celebration of Camden’s marine heritage, this waterfront festival hosts a schooner procession into the harbor, schooner crew talent show, fireworks over the water, lobster crate race, fish relay, chowder challenge, windjammer tours, and more.
- Camden International Film Festival & Points North Forum, Camden, Rockport & Rockland, September 14 – 17, 2017: The 13th annual film festival showcases the work of nonfiction film-makers and documentary storytellers from around the world, as well as additional interactive discussions and presentations on films and film-making.
- Harbor Arts Fall Juried Arts & Crafts Show, Camden Harbor Park & Amphitheatre, September 30 – October 1, 2017: This long-time annual show hosts a wide variety of artists and hand-crafters displaying their work al fresco on Camden’s waterfront.